YOU CAN BECOME A BETTER SHORTBOARD SURFER...
This classroom-based workshop is designed for surfers of all levels who are interested in deepening their understanding of short-board wave riding and setting personal goals towards improving ability, style and self awareness. The workshop uses video analysis of waves and people riding waves to get into granular detail on specific on-board movements and technical positioning. There is also plenty of two-way discussion around how to get the most out of every surf session. Come with questions and and open mind.
About the instructor: Mike has been researching, practicing and helping others improve surfing performance through improving movement, nutrition, mindset and technique for 15 years. As a surf coach, he uses video analysis, performance neurology, surf-specific skateboarding, bodyweight strength training, meditation, DNS, performance neurology & vision training to fast track client's surfing progression. Mike is based in Malibu where he's focused on helping others to surf better through education, practice, and refinement.
What to Expect:
Session 1 "The Big Picture" | Saturday January 25th | 9-11 AM
Topics covered include:
- Surfboard design
- Detailing the design aspects of the shortboard and what it is designed to do on a wave.
- Different rail shapes, tail shapes and how they work.
- Wave reading
- Reading the wave and the way water moves is the foundation of all surfing.
- Learn where the power & speed zones are on the wave so you know where to look and what to look for.
- A large part of the workshops focuses on working through individual questions and discussing personal experiences so that each attendee can get the most out of the session to set and achieve individual goals.
Session 2 "Strength & Motion" | Sunday January 26th | 9-11 AM
Topics covered include:
- Surfing technique
- How to position and move your body.
- Covering, the pop-up, the bottom turn, top turn, cutback, snap, and tube riding.
- How to distribute your weight, foot placement, where to hold your arms, where to look, etc.
- Training for surfing
- What works, what doesn't.
- How to learn and strengthen surfing techniques on dry-land.
- Some practical takeaways to start practicing.
Review and Q&A
Coffee, Tea, Fruit and Breakfast Bars included.
$140 for both sessions (includes 2 day passes to Traveler Surf Club.)
$160/ at door (if space permits)
22941 Pacific Coast Hwy. Malibu, CA 90265
For more information: 424.425.8033
*Workshops are open to all ages and genders.
**Please note, these are not water lessons, workshops will focus on breaking down skills using video and classroom materials. Each session includes a day pass to Traveler Surf Club Malibu ($40 value), so that you can paddle out and put your knowledge to use after the session.
Space is limited. Tickets are non-refundable, please plan accordingly.